Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

"My favorites" from Small Group Reading

Each day, my students participate in 60 minutes of a small group/independent work time for our literacy block (after our 30 minute shared reading).  During this time, they use 30 minutes of the time working independently on a reading strategy/skill and the other 30 minutes meeting with an adult (in a book based on need/level). 

Today, I'm sharing some of my favorite graphic organizers/forms that I use during small group time.   Most of these forms were "stolen" and "tweeked" from another person, so I can't take the credit.  Additionally, most of these forms/graphic organizers I use throughout the duration of the entire book (students get a new sheet everyday).  I do this so students can practice and master the concept being taught in the graphic organizer. 

Use if you'd like!

Fiction Tracking your Comprehension- This form requires students to keep track of their comprehension while reading, pose questions for their group, as well as summarize their reading.  When students participate in the discussion, they add notes to their sheet in a new color, as well as highlight any questions or ideas that another person brought up.  I like to do this so it makes students realize they should gain information from a discussion (and from other people's viewpoints).  See picture for an example  

Notes and Thinking Graphic Organizer- This graphic organizer is great for making kids think.  This requires them to find the notes (nonfiction or fiction) and have some type of thinking from it. 

Questioning and Summarizing- I got this graphic organizer from a friend a few years ago. This allows students to seperate their questions into before, during, and after reading.  After we share our questions in group, I usually try to get students to notice how their questions change throughout the reading process. 

Quick Summary Bookmark- I usually cut these out and have students use them for bookmarks.  This is a nice way to teach kids to pull out the main idea, while it also allows them to review last night's reading in a quick way. 

Reciprocal Teaching Bookmark & Reciprocal Teaching Recording Sheet- A couple of years ago, I was introduced to the Reciprocal Teaching process for struggling readers (I have since started using with higher ability students also).  There is a lot of research to support that this, over time, will increase student comprehension.

Response Bookmark-  This is a variation of the Reciprocal Teaching idea.  With this, I use for shorter articles or texts and after students understand the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment